Classic Lightweights UK
Author Derek Browne
Peter, I have kept asking various people how to apply spirit fix transfers, eventually this has payed off. Attached are instuctions, which were given to an old friend by Johnny Mapplebeck back in the 1950s.
N.B. Spirit-fix transfers are not to be confused with varnish-fix transfers which, as their name says, are applied with varnish.
INSTRUCTION FOR FITTING SPIRIT-FIX TRANSFERS
1. Ensure that the frame is clean of grease, etc.
2. Remove the paper backing from the transfer
3. Prepare a small quantity of two-thirds methelated spirit and one-third water
4. Thoroughly wet the area for the transfer with the solution using a clean cloth
5. Place the transfer in position and press the tissue paper to remove air bubbles
6. Soak tissue on front of transfer with clean water and carefully remove
7. Dry the transfer gently with a soft cloth
8. Spray with a clear lacquer, not one containing cellulose
© 2013 Classic Lightweights