Classic Lightweights UK
Lytaloy componentsPeter Underwood
Before WWII, Hobbs marketed some highly desirable equipment including continental dural brake cantilevers, dural hub spindles, handlebars, cranks and stems, everything to make the clubman’s bike more exclusive.
After WWII Hobbs of Barbican, resumed marketing components under the marque name of Lytaloy. These components were bought in from manufacturers which specialised in the specific items. This was at a time when the use of alloy was to some extent quite experimental and, especially the cranks, were soon known for being rather fragile.
Below is an advert from the programme of the RTTC Champions' Concert at the Royal Albert Hall in November of 1946. The advertising would have been commissioned several months earlier but it gives some idea of dates for post-war production:
Below are some of the components marketed by Hobbs:
Pedals, the most obvious of the Lytaloy range with "H B" (Hobbs of Barbican)
The very rare Lytaloy brakes with QR and cable adjustors
Lytaloy cranks mounted on a classic lightweight.
Sadly these were Hobbs' achilles heel as the cranks were prone to breaking and it is rare
to come across a pair. In this early post-war period there was some suspicion about the use
of alloy for componentry and cranks did seem to be the base of much misgiving.
Below - Lytaloy technical sheets - click on image for specification
(Images Peter Lowry - Marque Enthusiast)
Below are three images of two Lytaloy components owned by Peter Lowry
Lytaloy bottom bracket set with alloy 'Lytaloy' lockring
Lytaloy CO2 pump - see detail below
Lytaloy CO2 pump showing engraved cap
Peter Heinemann from Germany has sent in these two images of Hobbs Lytaloy mudguards
As advertised in The Bicycle, 1947
'H' in triangle front of front mudguard - as on 'shorties' below
Very rare 'shorties', unusual in that they have double mounting brackets on rear guard.
This would help to locate the guard firmly as this genre were prone to twisting.
© 2010 Classic Lightweights