Classic Lightweights UK
Meridian - c1959
Submitted by Bryan Clarke
Meridian Cycles was owned by Pete Benedict. The first advert for the Meridian appeared in a 1957 copy of the Sporting Cyclist with the address given as 15 Trafalgar Road Greenwich; but they later operated from larger premises at 11 Sutherland Road in Forest Hill which featured a genuine Italian coffee bar called ‘Cafe Caparno’. The Meridian along with the Grandini was South London’s answer to the Cinelli Super Corsa and Fiorelli and Bianchi.
The Grandini drop-outs were offered as an alternative to ones made by Campagnolo. This frame has gone through many refurbishments and has decals with the Youngs of Lewisham address put on after they took over the marque in 1967. The Meridian was never as popular as the Grandini and consequently few have turned up. The lug with the Allen key binder bolt was revolutionary for the time.
Seat cluster with allen-key binder bolt and head lug
Grandini front and rear drop-outs
Internally reinforced fork crown
Drive chain with Gran Sport front and rear derailleur plus Magistroni chainset
© 2013 Classic Lightweights